Christian is the head of the Immuno-Epidemiology research group. His research focuses on the dynamics of viruses within and between hosts, emerging infectious diseases and antibiotic resistance (see Projects).
- Utrecht University, Utrecht, The Netherlands
– Ph.D., Theoretical Biology, 2005 – 2009
– Thesis supervisor: Rob J. De Boer
- ETH Zurich, Zurich, Switzerland
– Dipl. Natw. ETH, Biology, 1998 – 2004
– Thesis supervisor: Sebastian Bonhoeffer
- Humboldt-Universität zu Berlin, Berlin, Germany
Erasmus exchange programme, 2002
- Institute of Social and Preventive Medicine (ISPM), University of Bern
Research group leader (December, 2014 – present)
SNSF Ambizione research fellow (October, 2011 – November, 2014)
Postdoctoral fellow (March, 2009 – September, 2011)
- Theoretical Biology & Bioinformatics, Utrecht University
Research assistant (March, 2005 – February, 2009)
- Institute for Ecology & Evolution, ETH Zurich
Research assistant (November, 2004 – February, 2005)
Editorial & Review Work
- PeerJ: Academic Editor
- Matters: Editorial Board
- PLOS Computational Biology: Guest Editor
- PLOS Currents: Outbreaks: Board of Reviewers
- Reviewed for Science, The Lancet Infectious Diseases, PLOS Medicine and others
Grants, Awards & Fellowships
- 2014: Krebsliga Schweiz – Swiss Cancer Research: What will be the impact of human papillomavirus (HPV) vaccination on HPV-associated cancers in Switzerland? A mathematical modelling study, 261’900 CHF, Role: PI
- 2013: SwissTransMed project (Platforms for Translational Research in Medicine): Rapid diagnosis of antibiotic resistance in gonorrhoea: RADAR-Go, 2’026’624 CHF, Role: Co-PI (PI: N. Low)
- 2013: Interdisciplinary PhD Project (IPhD) grant from SystemsX.ch (The Swiss Initiative in Systems Biology): Exploring response surfaces and synergistic interactions of antibiotic combination treatment for Neisseria gonorrhoeae, 192’000 CHF, Role: PI
- 2011: Ambizione Fellowship awarded by the Swiss National Science Foundation (SNSF): Acute and chronic dynamics of HIV and HCV infections, within-host evolution and epidemiological outcomes, 439’722 CHF
- 2009: Promotion of Young Researchers by the University of Bern Intermediate Staff Association
- 2004: ETH Zurich travel award
- 2002: Erasmus exchange programme
- 1997: Schweizer Jugend forscht (Swiss Youth in Science) study week
- Quantifying the dynamics of viruses and the cellular immune response of the host.
PhD thesis, Utrecht University. 2009.
- Effects of recombination and epistatic selection in HIV-1.
Diploma thesis, ETH Zurich. 2004.
- Recombination in HIV and its effects on drug treatment: a population genetic model in silico.
Semester thesis, ETH Zurich. 2003.